When you’ve been single for awhile (or forever, in my case) it’s extremely easy to have very low self-esteem. It’s easy to come to the conclusion that something is wrong with you. It almost makes sense for you to think you’re not good enough because everyone else around you – siblings, parents, cousins and friends – can find people who want to be in a relationship with them, but you never can. It doesn’t matter how many people say you have a stunning smile if you’ve never been able to keep a guy interested in you for more than a few months at a time. So, yup, low self-esteem is inevitable.
Not too long ago I was on Twitter and I came across a few tweets that made me sit up and take notice. It felt as though The Dating Optimist‘s tweets were directly aimed at me:
“Do what you need to remind yourself why you’re awesome. If YOU think you’re worth dating, others will think so too.”
“The BIG advice: Write a list of 50 things awesome about you: What you know, what you can cook, jokes you tell well, how big your heart is…”
So I decided I should write a list to remind myself exactly why I’m awesome. Not a list of 50 things because that’s way too much and I can’t even think of 50 things. Also, wouldn’t 50 things would be an absolute snoozefest of a blog post? Anyhoo, with that in mind, here are 20 things that are awesome about me:
- My lips – full, juicy and all kinds of amazeballs when plastered with MAC lipglass
- My boobs – they’re full and juicy too*wink*
- My smile – this is the one that I get told over and over
- My laugh – infectious
- My warm and welcoming personality – what can I say? I’m a people person
- My sense of adventure – open to new experiences, I’ll try most things
- My ability to always try to look on the bright side – I did say, try
- I’m independent – I don’t let being alone stop me from doing anything
- My love of travel – I get itchy feet if I don’t have a flight booked
- My love of food- I maybe small, but boy do I love my food. Definitely not a fussy eater
- My ability to stay small even though I should be about three sizes bigger – see #10
- My fierce sense of loyalty – don’t mess with my close friends and family!
- I’m brave and courageous – more than I give myself credit for
- I’m great at keeping secrets – I’m a Scorpio, we’re secretive by nature
- My sense of humour – when I’m comfortable with someone, I can be a right silly cow. I love to laugh
- My sense of determination – once I have a goal set, I will always work my hardest to achieve it
- I can throw down in the kitchen – damn shame I’m the only one who gets to appreciate it
- My long term friendships – I’ve lived in London for a long time, but I’m proud to say my best friends are still the ones from my hometown
- My life achievements so far – I come from a single parent household, from a not too great area but now I’m in London, I own my own home, I have a great job and I take regular holidays. I do okay
- My potential to be a great girlfriend – admittedly, I’ve not been able to prove this one yet, but I’m sure I’d be awesome!
Sometimes I forget that I actually have plenty of reasons to be proud of myself. We covered this in the Get The Guy Women’s Weekend too, sounds cheesy I know, but I need to truly realise my own value and know that I am a person worthy of being loved. Thanks to the friends who helped me out with this one, you know who you are! And thanks to Dating Optimist (follow her on Twitter, here) for the pearls of wisdom!